Boost your Energy!
Well it’s newsletter 4 of this series and if you're like me you're probably crazy busy, swamped in the thick of spring activities, so that’s why even the smallest changes can really make a big difference over time in your energy levels. So let’s talk about another small change - let’s talk about catching some Z’s.
Believe it or not, adequate sleep has a lot to do with your overall health and your waistline!
I know how it goes...You’re on a roll with getting things done, and you want to just keep pushing through. The temptation to stay up just a little bit later to get more done is very real. However, while cutting back on sleep may seem like it will boost your productivity, the opposite is true. It can not only reduce mental clarity but also undermine your healthy lifestyle. Lack of sleep can lower our willpower, making us more likely to make unhealthy choices. When you’re tired, you’re more susceptible to cravings for unhealthy foods. You are also more likely to try to use sugary, caffeine-laden drinks to try to keep your energy levels up. This can lead to weight gain from consuming empty calories.
Lack of sleep also boosts your body’s production of the stress hormone cortisol. When cortisol levels are raised it causes your body to store fat, particularly around your midsection. Sleep deprivation can also make you less likely to be active. Think about it - when you are already tired, the last thing you want to do is workout. The lack of exercise combined with increased cortisol levels can deliver a serious blow to your efforts to live a healthy lifestyle.
While everyone’s sleep needs are slightly different, most people need between 7-9 hours of sleep EVERY night to function at their best. You will know that you are getting the right amount of sleep when you wake up feeling refreshed, as opposed to having to drag yourself out of bed. Don’t allow a lack of sleep to undermine the healthy lifestyle you have worked so hard to attain.Find a sleep routine that works for you and stick to it. Your body will thank you!
Though sleep is KEY there are a few more tricks up our sleeve to help boost your energy!
Here’s my TOP 10 ENERGY ACCELERATOR SECRETS
1. Control your coffee intake. Nurse a coffee throughout the day instead of starting your day off with a Grande. Studies show that lower frequent doses of coffee will give you more energy than larger doses of caffeine at a time. Better yet, ditch the coffee for some Energize - it's a plant based pre-workout drink that I also use as a daily pick me up as needed to boost mental clarity, give me natural energy and doesn't make me jittery. Plus it's as simple as shaking with water and sipping or chugging. It has the same caffeine as a cup of coffee.
2. Start your day with BIG glass of water! Exercise and sometimes extreme stress cause lactic acid to build up in the body, causing fatigue. At night your body works to get rid of those toxins, lactic acid and build up in your system. Staying hydrated helps your body flush those out right away so you can feel your best. Eliminating these toxins from the blood means keeps your skin glowing, healthy and radiant. ... Keeping your body hydrated as the day starts, helps promote a sustained flow of blood to your skin and releases toxins from your system.
3. Try tea instead of coffee for a mid-day pick me up. It’s likely to give you some alertness but won’t disrupt your sleep as much as coffee. (or energize) ;-)
4. For a good midday snack to boost your energy, try combining a protein with a good carb. Examples: 1. A can of tuna fish or salmon with whole grain crackers 2. A small box of raisins or cranberries and handful of nuts 3. A cup of greek yogurt with ½ cup of oats or granola (unsweetened if possible). A quick on the go snack are the delicious Beachbars that are a perfect balance of protein and carb, plus they taste great and are super mobile! I have them in my backpack all the time (and my kids love them too!) Less sugar than the other bars on the market and only made with the cleanest whole foods.
5. Once again, stay hydrated! The biggest cause of midday fatigue is dehydration. Try having an icy glass of seltzer water with a slice of lemon or lime to awaken your body and mind! It’s like having a N/A cocktail midday!
6. Get more Iron in your diet. Vegetarian sources of Iron include kidney beans, baked beans, whole-wheats, spinach, and dried apricots as some good choices. To boost your body’s ability to absorb the iron in these vegetarian sources, eat them with a good source of vitamin C, such as tomatoes, oranges, or a glass of orange juice.If you eat meat you are most likely ok with iron.
7. Get more phosphorus in your diet. It’s an important mineral that helps metabolize carbs, fats, and proteins, and can boost energy levels. I like to add an All Bran Cereal to my greek yogurt to have a little crunch of phosphorous! Shakeology also is a great source of phosphorous from natural ingredients. Containing 19% of your daily intake need; plus it gives you way more for full daily dose of nutrition.
8. Avoid late night sweets before bed! This will disrupt your sleeping patterns and leave you feeling more tired in the morning. Plus your body will release insulin to metabolize those sweets during the night putting your pancreas in overdrive.If you are a chocolate lover and must have your 1 piece of dark chocolate a day, then don’t wait till 9pm to do it. (PS - I get my chocolate cravings covered with my daily shake) ;-)
9. Try a natural energy booster with Focused Energy. This unique boost naturally increases your energy, focus, and mental clarity with ginseng and 100 mg of natural caffeine from guarana and green tea—NOT from sugars, chemicals, or artificial sweeteners. Plus, it's packed with adaptogens and antioxidants to help support the body in times of stress, as well as antioxidants that may help fight free radical damage. I add this boost to my shake on days when I need just that, a little boost! Need some? <ORDER HERE>
10. Track your sleep! Do your best to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night. If not make up lost sleep with a nap! How many hours of sleep can you commit to getting each night this week? This was a game changer for me in my health journey. The more sleep you get, the more opportunity your body has to repair and flush out the garbage.
Choose to RISE Podcast Check out the latest episode, be inspired with confidence building tips and strategies.Listen Now
Nutrition Bootcamp Learn how to fuel your body for more energy & happiness! Full program to teach you how to eat for life. Not a diet, but a healthy lifestyle. Get Info Here
Join the Team! Let's connect and be friends in fitness, business and life! If you're going to commit to a healthy lifestyle, you might as well get paid to do it. Watch This